The Biosimilar Working Group, a Canadian-based coalition of non-profit organizations, registered health charities, and health care advocacy coalitions, launched its website this month. The launch was announced in conjunction with the Group’s September meeting in Toronto, ON.
The Biosimilars Working Group is dedicated to ensuring that good outcomes for patients are at the centre of health policy in Canada, specifically in the biologic medication treatment areas. It creates up-to-date and evidence-based educational material for patients and health care professionals as a basis to inform our advocacy work on behalf of the patients who we serve.
Educational videos on the group’s website include:
- Biosimilars: What is a Biosimilar?, produced by the Gastrointestinal Society;
- Inflammatory Arthritis Medications Simplified, produced the The Arthritis Society; and
- Understanding Non-Medical Switching: Innovator Biologics and Biosimilars, produced by the Alliance for Safe Biologic Medicines
“ASBM has been active in Canadian biosimilars policy since 2013, twice surveying physicians, consulting with our Canadian members, and sharing these perspectives with Federal regulators and Provincial policymakers.” notes ASBM executive director Michael Reilly, who attended the September meeting. Mr. Reilly presented an update on efforts to harmonize biologic and biosimilar naming systems internationally, including two recent ASBM-sponsored meetings attended by representatives from FDA, Health Canada, WHO; and physician, pharmacist and patient organizations. “We are honored to be a part of the Biosimilars Working Group as we work together to keep Canadian biosimilar policy patient-focused and science-based,” said Reilly.
Biosimilar Working Group members include:
- Alliance for Safe Biologic Medicines
- Best Medicines Coalition
- Better Pharmacare Coalition
- Canadian Arthritis Patient Alliance
- Canadian Cancer Survivor Network
- Canadian Council of the Blind
- Canadian Organization for Rare Disorders
- Canadian Psoriasis Network
- Canadian Society of Intestinal Research
- Crohn’s and Colitis Canada
- Diabetes Canada
- Gastrointestinal Society
- Health Coalition of Alberta
- MS Society of Canada
- The Arthritis Society